Monday, September 10, 2007

My brother and SIL (yes, THAT brother and SIL) recently announced that they're expecting another baby. It was nice to greet that news with genuine happiness and not a months-long meltdown, I have to say.

Sometimes little things still nag at me. On Father's Day when they made their announcement at dinner with my dad and his family, we got in a discussion of all the babies born recently and how they've all been girls. We have Eleanor; my brother and SIL have Emma; my stepbrother and his wife have a two-year-old daughter. My dad said something like, "Well V [a cousin] has two boys, but she's the only one so far."

I said, "Well, we had a boy."

Silence.

It felt like it went on forever, but it was probably only a couple of seconds; then my dad recovered himself and said, "That's right, you did." And the conversation moved on. But that kind of sucked. I don't go through every day thinking about Joseph constantly any more, and I don't expect anyone else to, either, but I had the sense my dad had completely forgotten.

3 Comments:

At Monday, September 10, 2007 6:59:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Congrats on being an aunt again...and I am so sorry about the situation with your dad. I think you definitely did the right thing by bring Joseph up and reminding them that he is real.

I am glad you are blogging again! I've missed your writing!

 
At Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:43:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad that you said it :)
Sometimes we just have to be their advocates here.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2007 8:51:00 PM, Blogger The Goddess G said...

I agree with Laura. Sometimes we have to be their voice because they aren't here to speak for themselves.
~Carole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home