Monday, July 10, 2006

I went in for my last nonstress test this morning. It seemed fine to me - unlike several other times, the nurse didn't need to wake the baby up with the buzzer, and she seemed to move as much or more than normal. So when the nurse got back from bringing the printout to the doctor, I was unprepared to be told that the test was "nonreactive" and that they wanted me back in 90 minutes for an ultrasound.

I know it's fairly normal to have a nonreactive NST once in a while, but I panicked, of course. I called Andy, and thanked God his office is right across the bridge from the hospital. He came over and we forced ourselves to go eat lunch before my ultrasound appointment. When we got back to the office, we had to wait about an extra 45 minutes - which actually sort of made me feel better. I figured that if they'd seen something truly dire, they'd have rushed me in for the ultrasound right away.

As it turns out, the Pad is fine. The technician pointed everything out - the different parts of her heart, her stomach and kidneys, and her labia (it's definite - she's a girl). We got to watch her practice breathing, and we got some astonishingly clear shots of her face, even though it wasn't a 3D ultrasound. She has fat little cheeks and a squishy little mouth.

I am home now and collapsed on the couch with rubber-legged relief. Kid, don't ever scare me like that again, OK?

10 Comments:

At Monday, July 10, 2006 6:52:00 PM, Blogger Ann Howell said...

That must have been quite a scare! I'm so glad the Pad is okay. Thinking healthy thoughts for the two of you for the next few weeks...

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 7:23:00 PM, Blogger Julian's Mom said...

I'm glad everything is okay and can't believe how close you are!!!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger sillyhummingbird said...

I am sorry you had a scare but so glad all is well with you and baby. I can't wait to hear that she has arrived!!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:19:00 PM, Blogger Josefina said...

That was scary!!
But wow, to have seen here so clearly must have been quite an experience!!!
Good luck!!!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:58:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Ahhh! Little stinker!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:18:00 PM, Blogger laura said...

ah, the last nst...all that's left is the main event. at last! i can't wait!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:35:00 PM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Hey! A girl! Congratulations, from here on out!

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:52:00 AM, Blogger SWH said...

Is tomorrow the big day??

I probably won't be online tomorrow, but wanted you to know that I hope you have a wonderful day and can't wait to read about the new baby!

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:52:00 PM, Blogger laura said...

tomorrow, tomorrow, i love ya, tomorrow (or the next day, if i counted incorrectly...). thinking of you and pulling for you!!!!

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That was so scary and must have completely worn you out. I am glad to know that PAD was just in there hanging out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home