Friday, October 28, 2005

Proof that I invent things to worry about

This is a comment Mr. NK often makes about me. I used to deny it, but you know what, I think he's right.

I mentioned that I'm ovulating about now. Got a positive OPK today. We are, uh, trying not to leave things to chance on the timing. If I don't get pregnant this month, it won't be because we timed it wrong.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I'll be ovulating about Day 24-25, almost two weeks later than the 'average' Day 14. The chemical pregnancy threw things off by about a week to ten days. Anyway - if I DID get pregnant, would this be a problem? My "LMP" is October 6, but if, say, I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks "LMP," it would show almost nothing, because I'll really only be two weeks past conception, not 4. How do doctors handle this? I don't want to be told that a pregnancy is not viable if it really is. Plus, since my next baby will be delivered by C-section a week or two early, it would be bad for my dates to be off by two weeks.

Of course I would tell the doctor I was charting and using OPKs, but I've heard many anecdotes about doctors blowing off the idea of charting. (Dr. S sure did.) I'm wondering if, were I to get pregnant this month, or any month that I ovulate significantly later than the norm, would it be a better idea to be vague about my last period, and throw out a date that would line up better with the conception date?

Like I said...inventing things to worry about. I ought to concentrate on actually getting pregnant first.

7 Comments:

At Friday, October 28, 2005 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

First of all, do NOT lie to your doctor about dates. And if your doctor dismisses your charting or anything else, find a new doctor. Any doctor unwilling to pay attention to all the information is a danger...trust me on this.

 
At Friday, October 28, 2005 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Muddystingbee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, October 28, 2005 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Muddystingbee said...

I wouldn't be able to lie, I know. And whenever I do get pregnant, I'm sure I'll be monitored so much that they'll figure it out. It's just on my mind. Is it common for doctors to blow off the charting thing? I've certainly heard of it and experienced it - but then again a high-risk doctor would be more likely to take it into account, right?

 
At Friday, October 28, 2005 11:17:00 AM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Yeah, don't fudge.

As for the charting, depends on the doctor. My OB thinks it's only a recipe for mental distress, but my RE thinks it's fine. But then when I start progesterone he wants me to use OPKs ALSO. So he's all for predictive methods.

I like the idea that God helps those who help themselves. If I were a doctor, I wouldn't want a totally uninformed patient.

 
At Friday, October 28, 2005 3:14:00 PM, Blogger Mrs.X said...

Just tell him or her the truth.
Remember too that this new Dr is a high-risk one so more likely to understand and be patient.
Mr X tells me I invent things to worry about too. I think it's a good negotiating tool for a spa day! ;P

 
At Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:27:00 AM, Blogger laura said...

first, tell your dr what you know about when you ovulated. they should do a couple of betas right away, and from the range, they'll have some idea of date, which they'll then firm up with ultrasound. i'm amazed what they can tell on ultrasound. if they can't get a clear picture, they'll do it again a few days or a week later.

 
At Saturday, October 29, 2005 3:08:00 PM, Blogger Lisa P. said...

Your doctor may not agree about the late ovulation (some not only don't trust charting to pinpoint ovulation but also still believe everyone is a 28 day cycle) but from what I've heard that's not uncommon. Or as Catherine said, find someone who knows better. I would hope that's an easy thing to do, but I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories on FF about women who just disagreed with their doctor about their due date -- and then "delivered late".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home