Friday, October 14, 2005

Holy crap, I just got promoted.

Well that certainly throws a new wrinkle into the job situation.

I work for the admissions office of a large university - I write and edit promotional/recruitment materials like viewbooks and brochures, and also some letters and emails to prospective students. The publications team is a small part of the larger admissions office, and it's split between writers who do what I do (there are two of us) and people who work on the slightly more technical/marketing side of things (such as figuring out who to send e-mails to, getting names from PSAT mailing lists, etc.) We have one boss, whom I really like, but she's leaving in two weeks to move cross country with her family.

Today my boss' boss, the director of admissions, pulled me into a meeting. It turns out that my boss has always felt that her job is really two jobs - half publications-related and half technical/marketing, and she's always felt that she can't devote enough time to either one. So the director wants to split it into two jobs, both at the level/pay grade my boss is currently at. And she wants ME to be in charge of publications. WOW.

This would be a big step, both in terms of pay and responsibility. Right now, I do about 95% writing and editing and 5% project management. In the new position, I'd still be writing (something my boss didn't really get to do); plus I'd be editing the work of the other writer, who will now report to me; plus I'd be the liaison with the Office of Creative Services, which designs our pieces; plus I'd be in charge of the budget. Most importantly, I'd be in charge of the overall publications strategy for the Admissions Office.

I'm kind of freaked out. I've never had anyone report to me before, and now I'll be managing two people. I haven't done a lot of strategy work, and I have a phobia of numbers so I've never done the budget. But at the same time, this seems like it could be the fresh start and the new challenge I need. (And the money doesn't hurt either.)

I need to go process this.

7 Comments:

At Friday, October 14, 2005 3:00:00 PM, Blogger Mrs.X said...

Wow! Talk about things just working out! I'm so excited for you! I hope this is just the thing to bring you out of job boredom :)
Congrats NK!

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 3:01:00 PM, Blogger Muddystingbee said...

whoa, how'd you do that? I JUST hit "publish."

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 3:32:00 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

That is fabulous! You'll be fabulous! Congratulations!

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 3:42:00 PM, Blogger Mrs.X said...

Magic. I hit your blog first and there it was!
:P

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Lisa P. said...

The spammers take the time to do word verification, now?? Sheesh.

Congrats on the promotion! And good luck...

 
At Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:36:00 PM, Blogger laura said...

congrats! i hope it's what you want; if not, i hope you find what you do want.

 
At Monday, October 17, 2005 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Ann Howell said...

I second Catherine's sentiment -- how fabluous! So much good stuff going on... I think I'll just bask here for a moment and see if any of it rubs off ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home