Friday, September 09, 2005

OB appointment

I had an appointment with Dr. S. today. I thought it was going to be a post-partum physical exam, but I guess he just wanted to see how I was doing.

He asked if we were trying this month. I told him I'd gotten AF on August 26 and that we thought we'd try this month, but that I didn't think I'd ovulated yet. He told me not to keep track of anything, just for us to have sex whenever we feel like it, and as long as we feel like it at least 2-3 times a week, we couldn't miss ovulation.

Easy for him to say. Maybe I'm a giant control freak (OK, yes, I am) but I kind of feel like this isn't the time for just lackadaisically having sex whenever and figuring it would happen eventually. Maybe if we had never had a baby and we didn't really care how long it took to happen. Plus, even without charting or using OPKs or anything like that, there are pretty unmistakeable signs that it's the right time, and once you know them, you can't un-know them. (Plus, well, I can't believe I'm admitting this, but left to our own devices, we probably only feel like it 2-3 times a MONTH. We're lame.)

5 Comments:

At Friday, September 09, 2005 3:07:00 PM, Blogger Mrs.X said...

I hate that feeling of urgency! I understand just what you mean too. If I had a magic wand I'd be waving it like crazy right now. ((nk))

 
At Friday, September 09, 2005 11:18:00 PM, Blogger laura said...

i know that feeling. even though we thought we were past ovulation when we accidentally conceived, i suspect on some level i knew what i was doing.

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

meh...do what feels right to you. That's the best advice anyone ever gave me. It makes life a lot easier to deal with. Good luck with whatever you decide.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I think I must have the only doctor in North America who told me to track my cycles and use OPK's from the very beginning of our TTC journey.

That being said, after doing that for 11 cycles, I stopped. And as much as I hated hearing the "just relax and it will happen" bullshit ass-vice, it turned out to be the cycle that I conceived.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm rooting for you! :)

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 3:04:00 PM, Blogger Ann Howell said...

Sometimes I really wish I had no idea what EWCM was! We "played it by ear" for over a year, but since my cycles never got back on track it was unclear whether or not I was even ovulating. So that's 12 months wasted! On the other hand, it gave us time to heal emotionally and get used to the idea of having another baby. Now we're on the crazy Clomid cycle-charting roller-coaster ride that I hope is short and sweet. Anyway, if you can get by with as little intervention and "awareness" as possible, it'll make the whole thing a lot less stressful. But easier said than done...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home